Sunday, 6 August 2017

Review: Sparks by S.J. Adams


Sparks
S.J. Adams
Amazon
Published by Flux





This is one of those books that I just happened upon while browsing Amazon one day. I'd never heard of the author before. It sat on my shelf for a while since I've read more Kindle books this year than anything else. I finally got around to picking it up this week and I'm so glad I did.

"There was no point in trying to cover up the fact I'd been crying. 
My face was probably as red as a monkey's butt." 

This book is unusual in ways that it really shouldn't be by now. Mostly because of the happy, healthy, well-adjusted lesbian protagonist. Debbie is a brilliant character, she's funny, unsure of herself but one thing she knows is she is deeply in love with her best friend, Lisa. Her voice is beautifully written, endearing and often hilarious without trying too hard. Now, I can't say I understood Lisa's appeal exactly, but the author does a great job of giving the reader a sense of their friendship, so it didn't really matter.

"Broken hearts are fucking gross."

There are a lot of Full House references, and while I imagine that it does add something to the reading experience if you're familiar with it, I don't feel like I missed out by not having watched it. I thought it was sweet how Debbie could relate to it so much and knew it so well.

"Will you stop staring at me? Haven't you ever seen a lesbian 
having a panic attack on a toilet before?" 

Much more interesting than Lisa are the friends Debbie makes during the story. We get to know them well throughout the quest. Speaking of the quest, it was so much fun to read that I wished I could tag along. The various locations the quest took them to are perfectly described. At times it seemed like another world, like ours but just a little different. It was definitely an interesting place to go for a while.

4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment